Monday, January 17, 2011

Working in Television

My job as Studio Travel Coordinator at Sky Sports brought it's challenges.  I knew nothing about football other than the general rules of the game, and my UK geography on a local level was lacking.  So it was a stressful start with lots to learn.

This meant working about 10 to13 hours of overtimes a week. After football season ended and I had a break in the summer with lots of time off. I get 27 days off a year in England and not being used to having so much time off I didn't take many days off when it was busy so had about 4 weeks still left at the end of the year (end of June here) to use up. When in the office I used the quiet time during the summer to get myself organized for another crazy season.  It was about 3/4 months into the football season I knew it was not me or my lack of football/geography knowledge that was the problem, the workload was just to much for one person.

The job as Studio Travel Co-ordinator entails calling guests finding out what they need to get to the studio for the shows I worked on (mostly football) as well as travel arrangements for shoots and travel for Sports News reporters. It required a lot of prioritizing due to the work load, and careful timing to make sure they were here on time and there were no empty chairs on air.  It also requires keeping finance and producers happy about what I spend and keeping the guests and others happy with their travel I've arranged.

Over the next year my boss listened to my concerns about my workload, acknowledged them and over time I got help and my work reduced. At the moment things are at a good balance and I can go home most days on time.  A nice result, and much appreciated.

I would like to send a huge thank you out to google maps, saved me hours of work figuring out where things are and how far apart the are! Also thank you to my co-workers who despite stupid questions like "what is netball?", and "Does the name Ross Kemp mean anything to anyone?", still put up with me and helped me out loads.

No comments: