Monday, January 17, 2011

Flatmates

When I first moved to London flatmates were an adjustment. I went from having my own house, with lots of space to sharing small London flats (some very small) with others that I didn't know. I've learned a lot over the past 4 years and come to appreciated my flatmates who make up my family here in London. It is nice to come home to a house full of people.

All in all I've shared space with 12 other people over the years. Some were dossers, those that stay temporarily on your coach while looking for their own place. All of whom I have stayed in touch with (minus the crazies). 

One thing learned is it isn't always easy to vet out the crazies in meeting someone for 20 minutes, about the length of a flatmate interview.  Another is, it can be a harder to flatshare with someone who owns the flat, you never feel on equal footing or that you have a say in how the flat is set up.  Over all it is best to stay flexible when it comes to common areas, be respectful of your flatmates, pay your bills on time, buy your share of toilet roll, and do your share of the cleaning.

Tweasel, it doesn't feel like home without my kitty around.

Camden Flat "Family Night Out"

Part of the fun is learning about another contries culture, and traditions, and sharing your own Olympic Hockey - Go Canada!

Girls night out

Some flatmates are temporary, aka dossers. 

Current and past flatmates.

My current flatmate and lovely boyfriend.

No comments: