Thursday, December 16, 2010

Extra Curricular Activities

So when I'm not spending my free time working over time I have lots of options in London for fun and entertainment.

I have taken dance class (mostly ballet) at Pineapple Dance studios who have a drop in set up which is great for me as I never know when I am going to leave work one day to the next. There have been stints in the Gym, we have quite a nice one at work and when my work load allows it makes a good break for lunch.

I spend time when it is nice going on walks exploring different parts of London getting to know it better. As well in the summer there are lots of picnics in the fantastic parks around London.  Anything to get out when the sun is shinning.

Most of the museums and galleries are free in London, so I stop by and explore bits of them at a time, it's nice not to have the pressure of seeing the whole thing at once as some of them like the British Museum are huge.

There are lots of friends birthdays and nights out, going for dinner, dancing, or just a few pints in a pub are all a big part of life in London. There is always a great restaurant and yummy food just around the corner!

I have taken in lots of musicals, plays, and even an opera. If you keep your eyes open you can get tickets for very reasonable. I've been to many concerts, some at small bars, up to the big venues for some big names.  My first ballet was an event to remember, the dancers are amazing and Swan Lake is such a beautiful ballet. Of course there are sporting events (being that I work for Sky Sports) to go to, darts, football, rugby and the London Marathon to name a few. I'm hoping to go to some horse races this coming summer.

I also do reviews for a web site called Qype, they have events which might include going to sample a menu and or drinks at a restaurant/bar, going on tour, move screenings, afternoon tea, or just about anything.  Since it is a great way to get out and try new things, meet new people and see new places I take advantage and put my name down for events whenever I can.  All they expect in return is that I write a review, easy!  Through Qype I have eaten my first jellied ox tongue, scallops with truffles, Springbok, salmon row and much more. I've learned about vodka, explored St. Paul's Cathedral, and met lots of interesting people along the way too.

Lots of time is spent shopping but over the years I started to do what I can on-line and avoid going out in the crowds if possible and save my energy for other things.

Of course I still enjoy the more relaxing activities that I have always enjoyed, reading, knitting, organizing my photos, and watching the occasional chick flick at home. Currently I have rediscovered the joy of baking, but miss the lovely bright kitchen my Dad and Grandfather built in Canada that I learned to bake in.

And of course there are all the things a single girl does, dating and going out to meet new men, but more on that in another post!

2 comments:

stylemefab said...

hie. found your blog through google search. I am moving to london this march (2011) and i found it very informative. I am looking for a flatshare at first and your experience certainly has me scared a little. I hope i get lucky and get a good roommate. I am looking forward to the experience, the change of pace (I have been living in Tokyo for the past 8 years) loved all the photos.

BluenoseGirl said...

Glad you have enjoyed my blog and found it helpful. London is a great city, it is a lot faster pace than I am used to. I will be curios to see how someone from Tokyo finds it.