Thursday, December 9, 2010

Slovenia - Group travel

My trip to Ireland was a turning point for me. I had been travelling for many years on my own, meeting people along the way and joining them exploring or going off to do my own thing. I have made friends who I still keep in touch with this way and enjoyed the freedom of doing what I want when I want.  In Ireland I found myself tired of travelling on my own, wishing I had someone there to share the adventure with and reminisce about what we saw when home and I decided that for the most part my solo travelling was over.

So the next time I got itchy feet I started looking around at group travel options.  I wanted to avoid the expense of the single supplement, was a bit weary of backpacker tours and ending up with a group of 20 year olds, as well I was worried that other group tours could mean travelling with all couples.  Then I came across a company called Adventurea, group travel for those in my age range travelling on their own, and they would pair you up with someone on the trip as a room-mate. Also their trips seemed to be activity based so I would get to see new places, try new things, and have a little time for relaxing. Perfect.

The trip I chose was Slovenia, I liked the look of the activities, it was a place I had never really considered, but it looked beautiful and I like getting away from hordes of tourists. Also it was 5 nights so if the group thing didn't work out I wasn't committed for a whole week.

The Scenery is beautiful in this part of Slovakia. We were based in the village of Bovec.

Easy start to a day of mountain biking.

One of the the stops along the way.

Such clear water. 

A night out at the Scripi Bar, we had the place to ourselves except the 4 other girls, but they seemed to like our music requests.  Just remember if you ask for some 90's tunes in Slovakia you will get 80's music. Seems they are a decade behind.

A day of hiking the mountains... with a little bit of a hang over.

It was beautiful, but it was a bit treacherous in parts, one of our group lost his footing near the end and went tumbling down the mountain.  It was very traumatic, emergency helicopter etc, he spent the rest of the week in hospital with a fracture in his back, but he was lucky it wasn't worse.

Sing a long during our lunch break.



An excursion up the chairlift to see the views.

  On the other side of the mountain is Italy.

At the top, it was a bit chilly and there was a dusting of snow.

The last activity, white water rafting. A challenge for me as I don't like cold water.

Man overboard.

Made it.  It was a good first experience, the rapids weren't too rough and the weather was nice and warm.

All and all I would highly recommend Adventure as a way to travel, the group was diverse and activities well planned out. It's a shame they went under earlier this year.

No comments: